Re: broken link and wrong character set

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 11:46:13AM +0100, Chahine Hamila wrote:
> Hi,
> I've uploaded yesterday the index.wml in Arabic. Today, after checking
> the first page of Debian's site, I noticed two things:
> 1) The link for the Arabic page exists and the page appears in English.
> When we click on it to get index.ar.html we get an error message.
> 2) The link appears as messed up symbols. Since it was written in
> ISO-8859-6 encoding and the page is entirely ISO-8859-1, is there any
> way I would make the characters appear right or should I resign to
> writing it in Latin characters?

There are two things going on here. First, I didn't add the arabic directory
to the top Makefile until after the daily update (btw, you haven't created a
.wmlrc file. This is needed for wml to work correctly. I added one for you,
but you should check it for correctness). The other problem is that we are
still deciding how links to other languages should be displayed.

The links to the translations page are written using the native encoding,
which won't show up correctly in some cases. One solution would be to move
to a universal character set (ISO 10646). It is unclear to me how widely
supported this is.

I notice that you changed all the relative links to full URLs involving
www.debian.org. This isn't a good idea as it redirects users away from
the mirrors. Relative links are a Good Thing. Unless you have a good
reason, don't change any URLs in the pages.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org