Re: death of the gif format

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > BTW, I asked another upstream author to consider switching.  He
> > emailed back saying that he noticed Debian still used GIFs in our
> > webd page and we knew best.  So he wasn't changing.  I understand
> > the reason, but perhaps switching to non-compressed GIFs would be
> > okay?
>
> How would this send a different message to the upstream author?

We could have a visible link explaining the situation.

>                            Switching to PNG is less ambiguous,
> and is supported by all the major web browsers.  I see no reason
> not to switch to PNG, and good reasons to abandon GIFs (whether
> compressed or not).

I sugested PNG to Jerry Peek (author of mh-book) as well, but he
decided he wanted to keep supporting users with old browsers.  He
converted images to JPEG, and those that came out looking crappy
he did in an alternate GIF format.

See http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/updates.htm#991009

Peter