Re: death of the gif format

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> BTW, I asked another upstream author to consider switching.  He
> emailed back saying that he noticed Debian still used GIFs in our
> webd page and we knew best.  So he wasn't changing.  I understand
> the reason, but perhaps switching to non-compressed GIFs would be
> okay?

How would this send a different message to the upstream author?
To the casual observer, if the web site uses GIFs, then Debian
has no problem with them.  Switching to PNG is less ambiguous,
and is supported by all the major web browsers.  I see no reason
not to switch to PNG, and good reasons to abandon GIFs (whether
compressed or not).

Ben