Re: Web Site Size

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 10:04:13PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 04:24:11PM -0700, Darren O. Benham wrote:
> > Do you normally use one of the mirrors?  Why not collect the opinion of
> > people who routinly use mirrors for browsing... which mirror do they use
> > and do they go back to the main site to use the BTS or stick with thier
> > mirror.
> What's the point of an opinion poll? I see this as a technical
> discussion, not a popularity contest. What I'm curious about is much
> load the mirroring generates versus how much load it relieves. Is
> mirroring a multi-gig archive to a bunch of machines saving n*multi-gig
> bandwidth? How can the mirroring be allocated to get the most bang for
> the byte? I'm targeting the BTS specifically because it's fairly large
> and because latency is fairly important.  (Checking the BTS before
> nagging a maintainer is only helpful if the data is up to date.) Even
> the mailing list archives are more amenable to mirroring than the BTS,
> because their historical content is relevant; the historical content of
> the BTS is nil, because old bug reports are dropped (different argument. :)

Our current problem is not bandwidth, it's diskspace on www.debian.org.  We
need to solve that before we worry about solving a problem that isn't a

As far as it being a popularity contest... "spreading the load" is not the
only reason to have mirror.  If there's a (possibly) slow connection, it's
kinder to the viewers to push everything through the bottleneck once
(rsync) and then allow them to view the pages from their side of the

* <gecko@debian.org> <secretary@debian.org> <lintian-maint@debian.org>  *
* <webmaster@debian.org> <gecko@fortunet.com> <webmaster@spi-inc.org>   *