Re: caution about updating english/templates/debian

On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 05:31:44PM +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 1999 at 10:15:48AM -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> > I'd appreciate it if people were more careful about updating the
> > files in english/templates/debian. Changes to most of those files
> > cause all the web pages to be updated (this takes about 40 min),
> > and means every page needs to be remirrored.
>
> I see this as a design flaw in how the pages are constructed.  I've been
> revising my Finnish translations in that dir, mostly touching things that
> will in reality affect only *.fi.html.  If that indeed causes a rebuild
> and a remirror in the whole tree (including all the other languages),
> then there is a superfluous dependency somewhere (for example, having
> in the same file things that affect only one language and things that
> affect everything).
>
> > If people find this inconvenient, I will have master exclude that
> > directory from the daily update and update it manually occasionally.
>
> This will just make it harder to revise translations.  Do it, if you must,
> but I don't like either option.

Having the different translations of the template files together has
been a great benefit. Before, every translation had it's own version
of the template files and we had many problems with version skew.
The current method allows changes to be made to the template files
and all translations will see the changes immediately. I believe
the the translations that were available before will agree that the
new system makes their lives easier.

This does require a bit of discipline on the part of the translators
as they can easily mess up the pages for everyone. Perhaps I should
make it more clear on the HOWTO that the initial translation of the
template files shouldn't be committed until there is high confidence
they are correct. Remember, this only goes for the template files -
you can do what you like with the translation under your language
directory (up to a point).

You should feel free to revise the translation in the template files.
All we are asking is that you check the translation locally and
only commit the changes when they are all done. Due to changes made
by various people, the pages have been rebuilt every day for the
last 6 days. This seems excessive from my end. Since the resources of
Debian are all donated, we shouldn't use them unnecesarily.

Jay Treacy