Re: Installing the Chinese web pages

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 09:54:27PM -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:
> Thank you very much!  Things seem to be working great!  :-)

> Here are a few more questions for you.  If these questions have been
> asked before, feel free to give me a pointer to a web page or the mail
> archive, so you don't have to spend time re-answering them again.  :-)
> Thanks!
Asked before but it's no problem answering again.. they're not all that
frequently asked...

>  1. How often is the Makefile run?
Once a day, right after the dinstall run.  You can get the date of last run
by checking this url:  http://www.debian.org/mirror/timestamps/  master is
the time of last make run and va is the time of last mirror.

>  2. Is wml installed on va or another machine?
>     (Last time I checked, I couldn't find it on va.)
The CVS archive is on cvs.d.o (which is va) but the source is compiled on
master...

>  3. This may be too much to ask, but is there a way for us to run a
>     "make cleandest; make install" manually for a particular language?
>     (Hehe, I am sometimes too impatient and would like to see
>     a near real-time change on www.debian.org.  <grin, duck, run>)
There is a "test" url at http://cgi.debian.org/www-master/debian.org/
There is a script that can be used to build the whole tree... none,
however, to build just one section or language.  What most of us do is
install wml and apache on our own machines and browse that way.

>  4. Is  http://www.debian.org/chinese/   (index.??.html) a good place
>     to put our Debian Chinese Project Home Page?  If not, what place
>     would you suggest?  http://www.debian.org/$(somesubdir)/chinese/ ?
>     http://www.debian.org/~$(maintainer)/chinese/ ?  Or elsewhere?
If I understand what's going on.. I'd probably do
http://www.d.o/translations/chinese/*  assuming you want this mirrored and
translated...

>  5. What is the policy regarding modifying other languages' pages?
>     For example, if I (or anyone else on the Chinese translation team)
>     want to fix an HTML syntax error, fixes grammar error, or
minor fixes, go for it.

>     (*gasp*) e.g. create an webwml/english/chinese directory,
>     should I/we:
>
>       a. Just go ahead, make the changes and "cvs commit"?
>       b. Ask first.  (Ask whom?  Or just by posting a message on the list?)
>          and wait for someone else to fix it.
>       c. Pick one of the above depending on the magnitude of the changes?
major changes, go for it but it might be a good idea to post an intent here
on -www first.... There might be something else like that in the works..
well.. for all the same reasons we do the "intent to package" messages