Re: english/Makefile

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 09:21:15PM -0800, Darren Benham wrote:

> On 18-Jan-99 James A. Treacy wrote:
> > This then brings up another thing I've been wanting to do. I'd like to have a
> > single template directory that includes all the languages (every file would
> > then
> > need to use slices to create the final output). This would allow us to make
> > changes to the template files and have every language get the updates
> > automatically.
> > The holdup is that the italian translation hasn't been updated to the new
> > Makefiles
> > and template style. :( All attempts to contact the translation coordinator
> > have
> > gone unanswered.
> Do you have an example of this?

I guess you mean an example of using slices in the template files. I haven't
set it up yet in the template directory, but you can see an example of using
slices in distrib/vendors* .  vendors.wml includes english/distrib/vendors.CD
which uses tags to define all the fields for each vendor entry. The tags are
defined in vendors.CD.def which includes seperate entries for each language -
these are called slices.

The wml line to update the vendors page is:
  wml -q -o UNDEFuEN:vendors.html.en   vendors.wml
This line says to only include all undefined sections of the page, i.e. regular
text, and anything defined as EN. Everything else is ignored.

The same procedure could be used to create one template directory that is used
by every language. I believe this will save everyone time in the long run.
I know that Behan, who maintains the consultants page, loves it.

BTW, I received a letter from the Italian translation coordinator and he is
resigning. I'll do some cleanup on the Italian translation myself. Hopefully
I'll find someone who can fill in any Italian I need to finish it.

Jay Treacy