Re: port pages

[Marcus: If this message seems utterly irrelevant to you, please keep
reading...]

On 17 Aug 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > > I'll help.  (I guess I'll have to do some research so I can figure out
> > > how to update the Debian website)
> >
> > You need to move to using wml.  But that's entirely painless.  I can do
> > the initial tranformation, if you like.  If you wish to, you can be given
> > CVS access (probably - it's not actually mine to give, but Jay's recent
> > emphasis has been decentralising responsibillity).  Or you can liase via
> > me.
>
> Ok.  You do the initial transformation.  But I would like CVS access,
> because I'd like to constantly update it with news updates, links to
> other sites, the software map, the list of members, and other things.

Excellent.  I certainly don't want to commit to more work than I can
sensibly take on.

So, Jay - Jim Pick would like CVS access to update the arm port pages, and
Christopher C. Chimelis would like access so he can update the alpha
pages.  I shall take initial responsibility for converting the two sites
to wml, and maintaining some kind of consistent look between the ports.

> > > Here is the current Debian GNU/Hurd webpage:
> > >
> > >   http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/hurd/
> >
> > I am aware of the hurd effort.  Iam indeed subscribed to the mailing list.
> >
> > However, it is not a port of Linux to another architecture, which an
> > accompanying port of Debian, but rather a port of Debian to another
> > kernel.  Maybe it should go on ports, for lack of a better place to put
> > it, but it seems somehow different.
>
> Eventually, it is supposed to have binary compatibility with Linux,
> and then it should simply be another kernel that could be slipped
> underneath the current Debian stuff (I'm speculating here).  But that
> might be several years from now.
>
> In the meantime, they are going to be recompiling all the Debian
> packages just like any other port.  They even have their own set of
> directories on the ftp site, ie:
>
>  ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-hurd-i386/
>
> Anyways, it's not my call.  That's just how I saw it.  And it would
> look good on the ports page.

I was being dopey.  It isn't a Linux port, and I was thinking 'linux
ports'.  It *is* certainly a Debian port, and I'm pleased to have it on
the page (change committed tonight).

Marcus: This is a warning for you, then :-)  I have taken the liberty of
linking to your site on master from the page
'http://www.debian.org/ports/' (you won't see anything about the hurd for
about 48 hours, as the web site has to be rebuilt and then mirrored).

We would like have the Debian/Hurd info pages on the main site, at some
stage.  a) Could I have permission to use your pages as a base and b) Are
you interesting in maintaining them?

Regards,

Jules Bean