Re: port pages

On 16 Aug 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Port-Page-Authors:  I'd like to see your pages moved to debian mirrors and
> > converted into the house style.  I need you to tell me a) how much of your
> > work I may use and b) How much you are prepared to/would like to help.
>
> I'll help.  (I guess I'll have to do some research so I can figure out
> how to update the Debian website)

You need to move to using wml.  But that's entirely painless.  I can do
the initial tranformation, if you like.  If you wish to, you can be given
CVS access (probably - it's not actually mine to give, but Jay's recent
emphasis has been decentralising responsibillity).  Or you can liase via
me.

> I'd like to see a manual for people doing the porting projects as
> well.

So would I, very much.  I don't have the expertise to do this.  Someone
who does, please step forward.

> > Other notes:
> >
> > I have nothing on the MIPS port.  I have no idea what the 'java' port even
> > is!  And I suspect that the debian-hurd project doesn't belong on this
> > page anyway.
>
> I don't believe the 'java' port exists.  There is a mailing list for
> coordinating Java packages on Debian - perhaps that is the source of the
> confusion.

I know.  But Nils asked for a 'java' directory...

> The hurd project is definitely a port.  So is the cygwin port I intend
> to get started on in a few weeks (but it's too early to make a webpage
> for that yet).
>
> Here is the current Debian GNU/Hurd webpage:
>
>   http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/hurd/

I am aware of the hurd effort.  Iam indeed subscribed to the mailing list.

However, it is not a port of Linux to another architecture, which an
accompanying port of Debian, but rather a port of Debian to another
kernel.  Maybe it should go on ports, for lack of a better place to put
it, but it seems somehow different.

Jules