Re: 'nother idea: history.html

Will Lowe wrote:
> > This type of thing should be something open to all developers to work on.
> > The bottom of intro/about.html has been waiting for someone to work on
> > a history for over a year. It is best if we can get ANYONE to write
> > a history and we simply htmlize afterwards.
>
> Maybe Ian Murdock would be a good person to ask?  I don't mind
> coordinating the effort but I only got here a year ago...
I'm not sure how accurate the following is, but I have heard it from
several sources, you may want to ask Bruce himself.

Bruce Perens first got interested in Debian when he was thinking of making
a CD "Linux for Hams" which was going to contain all the various bits of
software to use Linux for hamradio operators.

But Debian was still in an undeveloped state so he spent more time working
on the generic Debian stuff than on the hamradio part.  Work on the ham
CD stopped, though up until a few months ago he was still committed to making
this CD (some of you may remember his "hearty FU" email, he mentioned that he
was going to make this, but use redhat instead). In light of his latest
"FU all" email I'm not sure if he is continuing it.

Incidently, there is now a group of us working on the hamradio packages.
I suppose we're continuing on his work.

A web page about Linux for hams is on
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/HAM-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.4
it has a link to bruce's (uncomplete) web site.

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ, PGP: AD 8D D8 63 6E BF C3 C7  47 41 B1 A2 1F 46 EC 90
|@work: csmall@scooter.o.i.net,            @play: vk2xlz@vk2xlz.ampr.org|