Re: Proposal for automatic page outdates detection

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 02:44:21AM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:
> 	Whenever a translated page has not been updated for quite some time,
> automatically put a note in the bottom saying so and linking to the english
> version.
>
> 	How to implement this? I figure we could use the same scheme as the
> one I'm currently using (thanks Paolo) to check the status of the
> translations: the check_trans.pl script forces translators to put a headline
> in all pages like this:
>
> jfs@hades:/var/tmp/jfs/debian/www/webwml$ head spanish/index.wml
> #use wml::debian::mainpage title="El Sistema Operativo Universal"
> #use wml::debian::recent_list
> <!--translation 1.17-->
> <H2>&iquest;Qu&eacute; es Debian?</H2>
>
> 	So it can check the version of the current document in the english
> dir and tell you if it's newer or not.

It can also be used to get the diff automatically:-)
As I had no feedback when I commited that script I though no one was
using it: I'm glad you found it useful.
I still think it's a lot better than monitoring the list of the
cvs commits.

> 	Well, I think adopting this is a must, not for obligation, bur for
> convience, and if all pages have this line  <!--translation x.x--> I figure
> it would be easy to check its number against the english version, in the wml
> step, notify the translation coordinator if the number gets too high (maybe
> from 1.1 to 1.20) and put a note in the middle stating
>
> 	"This translated page is not completely up to date with the
> 	original, feel free to read the <a href="page.html.en">original
> 	page</a>"
> 	(possibly translated to whatever language it is appropiate)
>

> 	Comments? Can this be implemented for all current translations?

I thinks it's possible changing from the comment hack (<!--...-->) to
a wml directive such as:

#use wml::debian::translate ver=1.17

It's worth it if all the teams adopt it, though.

lupus