Re: port pages

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Nils Lohner wrote:

> In message <[🔎] Pine.SOL.3.95q.980817084339.8635A-100000@green.csi.cam.ac.uk>,
> Jule
> s Bean writes:

> even
> >>
> >> I don't believe the 'java' port exists.  There is a mailing list for
> >> coordinating Java packages on Debian - perhaps that is the source of the
> >> confusion.
> >
> >I know.  But Nils asked for a 'java' directory...
> >

> If we rename ports to arches, then we could add the java pages... I'm not
> sure if we need to a) do the renaming from ports --> arches, and b) if we
> need a page for java.  I'll leave that for you folks to decide, I don't know
> enough of the details involved to decide either way.

Nils,

Sorry to appear dense here, but I'm still not entirely sure (in fact, very
unsure) what kind of information you envisage putting in this java
directory?  Ar we talking about Sun JavaStations (a hardware platform -
sparc based, isn't it?) or a Java OS (Debian GNU/Java - intriguing...) or
simply the standardisation and packing of java tools for debian?

If the last, then although this is a worthy topic for a web page, it
probably doesn't belong in this hierarchy [Side note - it might be
interesting to have a 'projects' page listing various projects going on in
Debian, of which this would be one]

Jules