Re: port pages

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> > I'll help.  (I guess I'll have to do some research so I can figure out
> > how to update the Debian website)
>
> You need to move to using wml.  But that's entirely painless.  I can do
> the initial tranformation, if you like.  If you wish to, you can be given
> CVS access (probably - it's not actually mine to give, but Jay's recent
> emphasis has been decentralising responsibillity).  Or you can liase via
> me.

Ok.  You do the initial transformation.  But I would like CVS access,
because I'd like to constantly update it with news updates, links to
other sites, the software map, the list of members, and other things.

> > I don't believe the 'java' port exists.  There is a mailing list for
> > coordinating Java packages on Debian - perhaps that is the source of the
> > confusion.
>
> I know.  But Nils asked for a 'java' directory...

A web page for the java stuff might be useful.  But a home page somewhere
other than the ports page makes more sense to me.

> > The hurd project is definitely a port.  So is the cygwin port I intend
> > to get started on in a few weeks (but it's too early to make a webpage
> > for that yet).
> >
> > Here is the current Debian GNU/Hurd webpage:
> >
> >   http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/hurd/
>
> I am aware of the hurd effort.  Iam indeed subscribed to the mailing list.
>
> However, it is not a port of Linux to another architecture, which an
> accompanying port of Debian, but rather a port of Debian to another
> kernel.  Maybe it should go on ports, for lack of a better place to put
> it, but it seems somehow different.

Eventually, it is supposed to have binary compatibility with Linux,
and then it should simply be another kernel that could be slipped
underneath the current Debian stuff (I'm speculating here).  But that
might be several years from now.

In the meantime, they are going to be recompiling all the Debian
packages just like any other port.  They even have their own set of
directories on the ftp site, ie:

 ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-hurd-i386/

Anyways, it's not my call.  That's just how I saw it.  And it would
look good on the ports page.

Cheers,

 - Jim