Re: http Mirrors

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> > Could we perhaps ask our FTP mirrors to put the archive up for http as
> > well as FTP?
> >
> > HTTP is much easier to work with when dealing with firewalls and I intend
> > to have support for it in Deity, trouble is right now there are a minimal
> > number of HTTP servers that offer debian :|
>
>  We should decide a standard path too.
>
>  http://www.debian.org/files/debian/hamm/hamm/... ?

Perhaps suggest it to the mirrors but not a make it a requirement.
kernel.org already has debian for http but it is not like that, and some
mirrors may want to use a server on an alternate port so as not to
conflict with their existing web server.

I would much rather have a large selection of mirrors that support
http/1.1 (range header most vitally) then to have a smaller set because we
were too restrictive.

Deity will be using a mirror list so I don't think many people will mind
if the mirrors are different..	(and dselect doesn't even support http)

Jason