fatman too slow from US?
I was told that my Debian web pages on "fatman" are sometimes awfully slow
when accessed from the US. (Is this true?)
Therefore, I think we should look for a better solution. The advantages of
having the pages off debian.org have been:
1. I have direct access to fatman
2. fatman is not mirrored, so it's always up-to-date and CGI scripts run
on the same system
3. I have a separate web directory, so their are no "conflicts" when
others change their pages, too.
(4. the pages don't necessarily have to use the same "style" as on
#1 and #4 are obsolete now (my net connection to master is good enough and
I like the current style :), but the mirroring still puzzles me. If a page
is changed on master, it usually takes a day until www.debian.org get's it
(right?). I think this is too slow for me. (I want to put out new pages
and reference them right afterwards.)
I know, that one can access the pages on master before they are mirrored
too, but the URL's don't look very "user-friendly".
It would probably be good to discuss several ideas:
- Setting up a new host "wwwmaster.debian.org" which is an alias for
- Make www.debian.org mirror pages faster, or perhaps "on demand" by
calling a script.
- Setting up "staff.debian.org" pointing to master. Every developer who
needs to set up (Debian-specific only) web pages for the project can
put the files into public_html/ of his/her home directory. The URL
(I would put my pages on "staff" and "fatman" then, so we have at least
two different servers to get the pages from.)
Am I making things unnecessary complicated? Any comments are appreciated.
-- Christian Schwarz
Debian has a logo! firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Check out the logo PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7 34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .