Re: Newbie to Debian looking for a mentor

On Mon, 2021-11-01 at 14:45 +0000, Ileana Dumitrescu wrote:

> Hello everyone! I wanted to start contributing to Debian.

Excellent! Welcome to the Debian community :)

There are many different ways to contribute listed here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

If you find any unfamiliar language while you are interacting with the
Debian community, our glossary is available on the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/Glossary

> I read about a mentors program and I wanted to know if it is still
> active?

While most mentoring in Debian is not one-on-one, the Debian's few
mentoring programs are documented here (some pages may be out of date):

https://wiki.debian.org/Mentoring

Most mentoring in Debian happens via people asking questions in public
on the Debian mailing lists or IRC channels or forums and the people
who know the answer to those questions replying publicly.

https://wiki.debian.org/IRC
https://www.debian.org/support#web

> I've been reading a lot about Debian and there's so much to learn so I
> think joining a team could help too. Can I just email any team I want
> to join?

Contributing to a team is a great way to join Debian. The best way to
join a team is to read the documentation written by the team, join
their mailing list and IRC channel and introduce yourself and your
interests within Debian on their mailing list and start contributing to
the list of tasks the team has documented. For most teams you can
contribute without being a team member yet, by sending merge requests
on salsa or patches to the Debian BTS.

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams

> I like computer architecture and I have some sysadmin experience if
> there are thoughts on where I could help out?

You might enjoy helping port Debian and individual packages in Debian
to different computer architectures or new hardware. Most of the
discussion about architectures happens on the #debian-ports IRC
channel. Most architectures have a mailing list and some have their own
IRC channel. For supporting new hardware of existing architectures, the
Debian Installer team is a good place to get involved.

https://www.debian.org/ports/
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports
https://wiki.debian.org/PortsDocs/New
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianInstaller
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller

You might want to package software you use for sysadmin tasks that
isn't yet available in Debian, or assist with the packaging and
maintenance of sysadmin software that is already in Debian.

https://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers/

You might want to contribute to the configuration and software for
existing debian.org services or to the management of those services.

https://wiki.debian.org/Services
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DSA
https://dsa.debian.org/

--