Re: FYI: debian-legal is discussing the inclusion in the Debian archive of "erotic" interactive fiction depicting the sexual abuse of children

>> There is a danger, if the Debian project falls prey to a moral panic, that it
>> will self-censor to the extent of producing a chilling effect upon itself.
>
> This is not a "moral panic". A real harm is being done.
> According to statistics [2]
> "One in 20 children (4.8%) have experienced contact sexual abuse." This has
> probably a devastating effect on their lives.

We should probably make an effort to keep this discussion civil, not
only to set an example for other flames in the whole project, but also
because this is the kind of discussion that can easily get out of
hands. Right now there is no need to make any decision at all, it is
in the hands of the FTP Masters, and we as a project trust them.

Please, before giving any opinion, one way or the other, I'd suggest
to be as calm as possible and re-read twice. We don't want to start a
flame, and we don't want the noise.

> A sane person tries to judge morally their actions, which often includes predicting
> their consequences. It has been mentioned here already and I find it likely that
> the game may trigger some people sick of paedophilia and more harm may be done.

Whenever I have used the word triggering in my mails, has been right
for the opposite reason. I meant triggering the victims. We certainly
don't want to cause any emotional breakdown to anyone, so I suggest we
treat this topic calmly and as non-emotional as possible. When I mean
triggering the victims, I mean triggering PSTD [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder

I honestly don't think that the game can make anyone behave in a way
they wouldn't if they haven't played. The same way that violent people
are not so because they play violent games. I haven't played the game
myself, and I probably couldn't even if I had curiosioty enough to
try, but most than anything, in that regards, I would be concerned
about whether there is an implicit or explicit apology of stuff. That
would certainly be illegal almost everywhere and, most of all, none of
us would want it in Debian.

To make it clear once and again, what I'm concerned about is the victims.

> As has been mentioned previously [3], including this will have a devastating effect
> on Debian.
>
> Unfortunately we don't have debian-children so that we may forward it to that list.

This should probably belong more to debian-parents. Having a
debian-children group has been among my TODO ideas for the future, but
even if it currently existed, they would be the last I would want to
forward this to.

Hugs,
Miry