Re: Debian participation into GNOME Outreach Program for Women

El dt 02 de 04 de 2013 a les 15:11 +0200, en/na Stefano Zacchiroli va
escriure:
> One thing to add, though, I've already got one "ping" from Marina
> Zhurakhinskaya at GNOME (not sure why it's not on -women archive, as it
> seems it has been sent there too), saying:

> > Hi Debian folks,
> >
> > We are about ready to start spreading the word about the internships
> > and it would be great to have Debian's landing page added to
> > https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/2013/JuneSeptember/#Participating_Organizations
> > as soon as possible.
> >
> > It just needs to be a short page and
> > https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen/Admin/GettingStarted
> > describes what it should have.
>
> I'd like to answer to that ping tomorrow. So if we want this to happen,
> I need someone creating the appropriate landing page today or early
> tomorrow the latest. If someone could do that, I'll be happy to go
> forward with this; otherwise I'll apologize with the GNOME people and
> call off our participation. It would be an occasion lost, yes; but not
> such a big deal if it will result in us planning our participation for
> next OPW round with some more advance.

As we have more opinions I think we can go for it! Stefano: I'm sorry
because my mail has delayed everything, but I think the discussion was
worth it.

Thank you all for your opinions. I feel more comfortable now that more
than 2 have said something :-)

Thanks Ana for joining me, although I understand that I'll lead the
process. Stefano: I'm still counting on you ;-)

My opinion about all what have been said:

Candidates: as Lucas said, I agree the candidates should be new to
Debian because if not Debian would be paying a contributor.

OPW/GSoC: I looked the timelines of two programs and we'll know how many
slots we have before we decide who will be our OPW intern (if she
doesn't qualify for GSoC). So, it's much easier to put our
students/women where we decide. I completely agree with Ana that we must
have the same criteria of quality for acceptation in both programs.

Money: I'd feel more comfortable if it comes from a sponsor, but as
Lucas and Moray also said, we can think this as an experiment. Ana's
idea about using the money we get from the GSoC as mentoring
organization is a good justification, it makes a lot of sense for me.

Next steps:

- Landing page: It's done here:
http://wiki.debian.org/OutreachProgramForWomen

- Coordination: tomorrow I'll subscribe to gsoc-list to keep in contact
with them. I'll also follow the instructions for coordinators that
Stefano sent.

- Non-GSoc projects: I think we have only one offer, but it's not still
ready (I haven't added it yet to the landing plane). We'll ask for more
projects when announcing Debian's participation in the OPW.

- Announcing it to the world: I think we can announce it publicly next
days: mail to d-d-a and a post in bits.debian.org

- List: I think we can continue coordinating this program in d-w list,
instead of creating a new one. Is this ok for everyone?

Thanks again for your feedback.
I'll keep you informed :)

Mònica