Re: logwatch/SMTP problem resolved, plus one more question about cron tasks

Alison Chaiken wrote:
> The main problem was that Debian, unlike Fedora, does not
> automatically include logwatch.   Therefore I was convinced that I
> must use the preinstalled and similarly named logrotate to email
> myself system logs, so naturally the man page that I read had
> unfamiliar options, so I was confused.

Heh, if you want to "influence" what gets installed by default, do
install popcon (popularity contest) and take part in the survey :)
We do get "cleaner" installs in debian, it's a matter of taste. I like
it because it gives me control over what happens in my system.

> I'm still not getting messages from rkhunter, so that I will have to
> investigate further.

~-amaya@io>nohash /etc/default/rkhunter
CRON_DAILY_RUN="true"
CRON_DB_UPDATE="true"
DB_UPDATE_EMAIL="false"
REPORT_EMAIL="root"
APT_AUTOGEN="true"
NICE="0"
RUN_CHECK_ON_BATTERY="false"

In fact, running dpkg-reconfigure rkhunter will ask all the right
questions.

> A lingering question is, should I edit root's crontab to run my backup
> script, or just put it in /etc/cron.<frequency>?    As far I can tell,
> root should always use /etc/cron.<frequency> and users are forced to
> use "crontab -e" since they can't edit /etc.    Is this correct?   Or
> is using root's crontab sometimes indicated?

It depends on your preference. I tend to to leave /etc/cron.* alone for
packages to install their thing there, and add to root (crontab -e) only
the stuff I add myself locally.

--
 .''`.        The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are
: :' :        strong at the broken places.    - Ernest Hemingway