Re: two sysadmin problems I can't solve three months after switching to Debian-KDE

Hi Alison

On 03/07/2012 06:11 PM, Alison Chaiken wrote:

> The biggest one is that I can't figure out how to get logrotate to use
> the postfix smtp daemon I installed to send mail to root.    (I have
> no desire to send mail from these systems for any purpose except to
> root for system administration.)   "mail root" from CLI works, and
> some programs (smartd, for example) do send email properly to the root
> account.    The programs run nightly by cron do not, however.    This
> is not an aliases problem or a difficulty with postfix configuration
> since the CLI invocation works fine.    I have RTFM'ed at length but
> simply cannot figure out how to get cron's subprocesses to use
> postfix.    I have changed all invocations of sendmail to postfix in
> /etc/*.conf that I can find.    Does anyone have any suggestions as to
> where to look?    logrotate.conf needs to be changed?

Can you see the 'CRON...(root)...' message in /var/log/syslog and does
something appear in /var/log/mail.log or /var/log/mail.err?

Is there output of postqueue -p (a.k.a. are the mails still queued)?

Cheers

Luk