Re: two sysadmin problems I can't solve three months after switching to Debian-KDE

On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 09:11 -0800, Alison Chaiken wrote:
> Greetings all, in January I switched my main development desktop
> system and a new laptop to Debian-KDE after being a Fedora user since
> its inception.    I'm pretty happy with the change but have a couple
> of remaining problems.
>
> The biggest one is that I can't figure out how to get logrotate to use
> the postfix smtp daemon I installed to send mail to root.    (I have
> no desire to send mail from these systems for any purpose except to
> root for system administration.)   "mail root" from CLI works, and
> some programs (smartd, for example) do send email properly to the root
> account.    The programs run nightly by cron do not, however.    This
> is not an aliases problem or a difficulty with postfix configuration
> since the CLI invocation works fine.    I have RTFM'ed at length but
> simply cannot figure out how to get cron's subprocesses to use
> postfix.    I have changed all invocations of sendmail to postfix in
> /etc/*.conf that I can find.    Does anyone have any suggestions as to
> where to look?    logrotate.conf needs to be changed?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

	I believe that Cron uses a system call to sendmail. You can set options
in /etc/mail.rc Perhaps such as sendmail="/usr/sbin/postfix"  To be sure
you can add the option 'debug' in the /etc/mail.rc, or add -d to your
Cron job sending the mail, which would help prevent excessive logs.

I am afraid that I am also new to Debian, and I run qmail on a CentOS
server. My Cron jobs successfully send to root on that system. So
perhaps my thoughts are flawed some as I have not used postfix. I would
love to know your solution

Kristen