Re: Updating stats, thinking about what to do

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org> wrote:

> We seem to be having a reasonable upwards trend in the number of first
> uploads, even though not as good as it was between 2003-2005.

Well, it's always going to be upwards, since it's counting first
uploads and not active uploaders, that would be extremely difficult
and arbitrary to measure.  Regardless of that, yes, we keep having new
uploaders, and that's good.

> It would
> be nice to find out how to get such a good result in the number fo
> first uploads made by a female again, and it would also be nice to
> know how to transform a higher number of those first uploads into DDs.

At some point I had planned to mail all the non-DD first uploaders, to
find out if they have some opinion to share about their experience,
and how things could be improved, but I never did it.  I'm going to do
that now, since I think it'd be useful in order to get some new fresh
ideas.

> The increase of female DDs between 2005 and 2008 might be
> statistically related to the increase of first uploads between 2003
> and 2005 according to the graph. It could also be unrelated, the
> evidence is not very solid.

I think it's pretty clear, that the DW project cause an important
increase in participation which later led to an increase in more women
becoming DDs.  Obviously not all cases are related, but I think that
it's pretty evident that the original effort had a very immediate
result, while nowadays we are almost having no results, and I'd like
to do something about it.

--
Besos,
Marga