Re: resource availability and (naive) ideas

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:41:21AM -0300, Margarita Manterola wrote:

> So, I've been thinking about this, and it's not like we don't have
> enough women: we have between 20 and 30 active women, maybe more, and
> that's a big enough number to have a small meeting.  However, we are
> all over the world, flying to an in-person meeting takes time and (a
> lot of) money.  And also, doing a women-only meeting sounds weird to
> me.  We don't want to isolate that much from the whole Debian
> community.
>
> I've been thinking that something else that could be done along this
> line would be to encourage (and sponsor) more local/pseudo-local women
> to go to mini-debconfs.  I've heard that there are a few mini-debconfs
> coming up in Europe (.fr, .it) and it might be a good idea to choose
> one of them and encourage the women in Europe to go there.  It won't
> be all of us, but it could be a nice group to start building up,
> without spending that much time and money.  If there is another
> mini-DebConf in some other places, Debian Women that are near can try
> to gather there as well.

Yeah, I like more the idea of helping and encouraging women to go to
Debian meetings over organizing just a d-w meeting.

You might say this bigger meeting is to give more visibility to women
inside Debian, but then I like more the global meeting idea:

> Yet another possibility would be to do a bigger event, with all the
> rest of women in Free Software groups (Ubuntu, Fedora, Mozilla, GNOME,
> KDE, linuxchix?, etc).  This would mean a lot of work in organization
> and the like, but it might be worth it, I'm not sure.

The FSF has also started a group some months ago, however it seems too
much US-centric.

Ana