Re: Apropos of spam..

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:08:44AM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2008/10/10 Miriam Ruiz <miriam@debian.org>:
> > I don't have any great marvellous ideas on how to achieve this (to
> > make more women attracted to the idea of cooperating with Debian's
> > development), and I really don't think the most important problems we
> > might face in this regard are Debian-specific in any way, but that
> > they depend instead on the way society is structured, education,
> > expectations put on women, and the patriarchy in general.
>
> Do you ever wonder if it's in fact a problem that needs to be fixed at
> all? Maybe it's true that no matter how much encouragement and
> positive gender roles you give to girls for nerdy subjects like
> computers or technology, they just have a natural predisposition to
> not be attracted to them.
>
> I sometimes wonder why nobody seems to be in a rush to encourage more
> boys to knit, bake cookies, or take up sewing.

Most people aren't in a rush to encourage girls to work with computers
or on other "nerdy" subjects either. I really don't believe in natural
predespositions of any kind. They are simply a to convenient excuse for
not doing anything to overcome these traditions.

I also believe that it would be as worthwile to encourage boys to knit,
bake cookies or take up sewing. I for one love baking cookies and I'm glad
that I had to learn sewing and kniting at primary school. If it had not been
compulsory, I probably wouldn't have taken the subject, if only because I
would habe been the only boy in class.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.