Re: "Debian women may leave due to 'sexist' post"

Christian, your points hit precisely what I was getting at.

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> The current hype and noise in -devel and other lists affects the
> relations between contributors of the project, that's a fact.

This is the main issue here for me. It was never the original message
that offended me (even if I thought it was inappropriate, I wasn't
personally offended), it was the discussion on -devel - and I didn't
get *really* upset until I read the thread where the CoC was
proposed[0], which when mixed with other project hostility lately was
troublesome for me. I hoped there are plenty of folks within Debian
who frown upon the recent amount of "hype and noise" (and personal
attacks, and insults...) that was happening on -devel, but I hadn't
heard much from them in public and the people who were speaking up for
better behavior on -devel are not being treated very well.

This thread on this list has helped though, thanks to everyone who has
spoken up here. While I don't entirely agree that "ignoring -devel
threads that are offensive" is the way forward (we still have Debian's
public image to worry about, and how Debian will get new contributors
if it is perceived as such a hostile place), it does make me more
confident that it's mostly confined to -devel and a minority of noisy
people within the project.

Cheers,

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/12/thrd2.html#00745

--