problems with KDE/KMail

current set-up:
Debian Lenny
KDE 3.5.10
KMail 1.9.9

KMail has been broken (i.e. unusable) since the upgrade to 3.5.10 from 3.5.9.
I have been waiting patiently for an upgrade to fix this, but in spite of two
occasions when a large number of KDE updates were applied, the situation has
if anything deteriorated.

When Lenny updated OOo to 2.4.1 OOo was broken for about a fortnight.  So
should I just sit tight?

I have attempted to purge and install KMail with the following result (0), but
have so far refused the offer of so extreme a solution as that proposed by
aptitude.  Particularly as, if the break is at present in Lenny rather than
localised here, I would simply get back where I am until the problem is
fixed.

What does the list advise that I should do?  Sit tight or accept aptitude's
suggestion - then reinstall KDE?

TIA
Lisi

(0)
localhost:/home/user# aptitude purge KMail && aptitude install kmail
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
  kdepim kmailcvt
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kmail{p}
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 8270kB will be freed.
  kdepim: Depends: kmail (>= 4:3.5.9-5) but it is not installable
  kmailcvt: Depends: kmail (>= 4:3.5.9-5) but it is not installable

Remove the following packages:
kde
kdepim
kmailcvt

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
kontact recommends kmail
Score is -663

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
Abort.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information