Re: Why the Widening Gender Gap in Computer Science?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> Quoting Meike Reichle (meike@alphascorpii.net):
>
>> things to offer that others may not (I'm not talking about apple pie
>> here) also research (e.g. Relinking Life and Work by Rhona Rapoport and
>> Lotte Bailyn) shows that work/life balance measures such as flexible
>> work times don't only benefit mothers and fathers but all employees.
>
> In the long term, definitely. I'm personnally much more happy to allow
> the female component of my team (8 people, 1 woman...) to take some
> time off because she's been called in urgency to get her child at home
> because of illness or whatever. The same stands as well for the only
> male component who still has young children.

We debian folk work with highly connected debian system of awesome.
Being at home does mean we're a little harder to contact, but not by
much. My company has an internal irc server on which most
communication happens. A good number of my team are not in the same
city, or same country as myself.

I'd say most of us can get a far amount of work down on the couch with
a laptop inbetween looking after a vomiting child.

Likewise, we can work at non-conventional hours. I imagine that once
the kids are in bed, you can get a bit of work done with same laptop
on same couch while watching a couple episodes of Heroes.