RE: Why the Widening Gender Gap in Computer Science?

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Monique Y. Mudama
Sent: 25. marraskuuta 2008 18:15
To: debian-women@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Why the Widening Gender Gap in Computer Science?

On 2008-11-25, Meike Reichle penned:
> Usually the interview will go somewhere along the lines that at some
> point the talk turns to your kids and whatever cleverly composed
> combination of day nursery, part time working husband, kindergarten
> and what else you present, it will all be canceled out by the magic
> question: "And who will stay home when it's ill?"

>That shocks me.  Interviewers at my company, and every company for which
I've worked, would never discuss such >a topic.  It's opening the door for a
lawsuit.  My team lead interviewed a clearly pregnant woman and never
>broached the topic -- and we did hire her.

>(And for that matter, it's not like children are the only reason one might
have to stay home.  What about >broken pipes, appointments to fix the cable
system or network or phones, meeting with prospective contract >workers,
deliveries, etc ... maybe interviewers should ask if prospective employees
live alone or with others, >as more people in the house might mean that any
one person doesn't have to stay home as often.)

And how about pets (those need vets) or parents who are old and need
sometimes help.