Re: The influx of women and the outflux of men. The end of debian as a distro and it's emergance as a women's rights pulpit.

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:03:09 +0200, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

Debian Women Please Pass Away <debianwomenpassaway@yahoo.com>
If you have not noticed packages are being orphaned at
an alarming rate in debian. Why? The influx of women's
rights activists into debian and the outflux and
disintrest of men who once contributed to debian [...]

I think you'll find both of those are correlated with time
and you presented no evidence whatsoever for a causal link.

Better luck next time at finding people who are bad at maths.

 Maths and rationality is totally secondary here.  This is about
poking the angst of a male monoculture progressing into a mixed
gender multiculture.  I feel that angst already.  Why?  Because
such transformations have a tendency to be slow and surprisingly
painful.

 Now before the Board of Good Intentions give me their collective
"Hush!"; I think we want and need both halves of the human race
aboard, even though they are different animals, indeed.  The majority
of people choose to live in man-woman couples, so it appears to be
the natural order, making the male monoculture the anomaly.

 As long as d-w is a tiny minority, only the kooks will voice
the angst of change.  However, once d-w gain some momentum, and
becomes a force to be reckoned with, they will have a greater
cultural influx.  That influx will certainly be controversial
at times.  It will be easy for a clever troll to promote the
idea that the majority is being forced to change their ways
and their beliefs for the sake of a minority, and then question
the merits of said minority.  It does not work well now, as
there is little anecdotal "evidence" to back it up with
(only mentioning Ted Walther as victim is rather weak).

 As to why I am writing this; I would like to anticipate some
"anti-patterns" before things get ugly.  d-w needs to get as
broad a part of Debian as possible to embrace the influx of
women, not just silencing whoever voicing the angst they might
have about it.  We guys need to hear what's in it to us, and
believe it.  To paraphrase the CEO of a very rich company:
"motivation! motivation! motivation!"

For what it is worth:
It is not your (d-w's) fault, but it is your problem.
I hope you found these words motivating, and not just annoying.

--
Herman Robak
herman at skolelinux no