Re: Hello

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

to, 2006-01-12 kello 04:47 +0000, Zoe Parsons kirjoitti:
I've just been coming out of a major bout of depression and thought that
I'd try and get myself actively involved in Debian finally (about time,
I've been using it for years now). Just thought I'd say hello really. :-)

If anyone has useful suggestions of things to work on/help with much
appreciated and so forth.

Depending on your skills, I suggest one of the following:

* writing missing manual pages; see
http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tbinary-without-manpage.html for a
list
I shall wander over lintian and see what I can help with.
Having had a look at the list of warnings, is it considered bad form to send patches for any/all of the various messages in there in order to attempt to shrink and/or clean up the list? (standards versions and the like)?

* testing packages with release critical bugs (see
http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php) and seeing if you can reproduce
them, and if available, apply any patches in the bug reports and see if
they work and fix the problem
* coming up with patches to fix release critical bugs
Not to sound bitter, but everytime I get as far as an RC bug in something I use/have installed someone else has already fixed it. Not fair that people around here are too efficient. ;-)

* adopting an orphaned package that you would use yourself (it's better
to package things that you use, the quality tends to be better), or that
has other users (packages without users aren't generally very useful to
have in Debian)
I shall have a look.

Thanks.

--
Huzzah! I've come out of my depression long enough to write some emails!

Zoe Parsons   | skype:mpsonscix   |
zoe@theasylum.demon.co.uk   |   http://livejournal.com/~zoep
mpsons@cix.compulink.co.uk  |   ICQ:97984995
aim:mpsonscix  |  yim:mpsons_cix  |  msn:zoe@theasylum.demon.co.uk
Just because I might be logged onto these doesn't mean I'm there...