Re: Science fiction?

Hey Mirjam! Welcome!

<waves back happily from a bed and an iBook in South Australia>

On 26/05/2005, at 5:26 PM, Mirjam Lindberg wrote:

I was/am definitely a tomboy and I also identify mostly with the male characters (I read a lot of fantasy and SF). I used to identify the typical female characters as being inherently more boring and weak which made me spend a lot of my childhood wishing I could have been a boy instead :-/

I think this was a common experience for many girls of strong personality/mind. It took me a long time to get over my father's continually expressed family gospel that women were inherently less intelligent and physically incapable of logical thought. This is a man who refuses to read anything by a woman writer. ... It took me a while to learn to love being female: but now I feel sorry for _him_. Such a limited outlook...

It took a long time before I understood that this was the fault of those particular writers and not an accurate picture of women in real life. So I'd say that good female rolemodels are very important, to teach young girls that they are allowed to be strong and do fun stuff. I'm getting back at the stereotypical gender roles in my favourite genres by playing strong female characters in tabletop roleplaying games.

Absolutely. Things are improving, but there's still plenty of resistance against female choice, particularly in some cultures. My daughter, for example, will always tell a person of higher status (when you're a kid, this is everybody but possibly caterpillars) what they want to hear -- but especially men. There is no female opinion or want. It is, in fact, the female's responsibility to work out what the male wants to hear, and experience, and to be an automatic service centre. This is culturally appropriate! We have a _long_ way to go... :(

This is my first post to the list so here's a quick introduction: I am a Swedish computer engineer who spends some of her work time administrating servers running Sarge. I haven't done any open source development but hope to do so in the future. Hi everyone! <waves>

There are so many great people here. :D Many thanks to Christian for inviting me to this list. I enjoy the company, especially the sparkling communication (don't inhale, or you'll sneeze...). :D I hope we're going to hear much more from you now, Mirjam! (My niece is named Miriam/Maryam.)

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhóm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc