Re: Science fiction?

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 15:31 +0100, Hanna M. Wallach wrote:
> On Friday I met with two researchers working on "understanding gender
> issues in open source" as part of the FLOSSpols project. One of the
> (many) things we discussed was whether the women involved in free
> software projects tend to read as much science fiction as the
> men. (They're interested in this from a point of view of "entry into
> the free software world" and "identifying with the free software
> community and culture.") I thought it'd be interesting to ask on here
> -- do you read science fiction?

A few years ago Jules Verne happened to be my hero of books. Gotta love
_20,000 Leagues Under the Sea_ and _Journey to the Center of the
Earth_. ;)

Currently I read more fantasy than Sci-Fi (cough, sig) - LotR, Feist,
George R. R. Martin and much of the like. I also am a big fan of a lot
of thrillers - Clancy, Cussler, etc. - which aren't Sci-Fi but are often
pretty tech-oriented. For some reason a lot of my favourite books I find
displayed on the "guy picks" shelf in the school library (which, I must
say, is pretty annoyingly stereotypical between the "guy books" and the
"girl books").

I am however a big Star Wars fan, though I don't get much TV time (I
wonder why, might have something to do with this computer here).
Occasionally I watch an episode or two of Stargate SG-1 with a fellow
geekette.

--
"All that glitters is not gold; not all those that wander are lost."
        J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

blog: http://frisia.middle-earth.us/