Re: Core KDE member about HIG^W female contributors

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:34:33 +0100, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 09:52:41AM -0700, Laura Melton wrote:
We really have to get away from thinking about right and wrong.  We can
be right until the cows come home, but we're still going to have to deal
with sexist attitudes.  The comments will only stop when we convert the
men (and women!) who are perpetuating those attitudes.

Ain't gonna happen.

 *shudder* You're more cynical than me.
(Oh, well.  cynical = realistic, I guess)

You'd better get used to dealing.

 Dealing_with_sexism.HOWTO?

And, uh, just for the record, this thread is not dealing with it.

 But it got some frustrations and complaints out into the open.
I found the coders vs documenters spin-off interesting.  I know
developers tend to appear omnipotent, and to some extent, they are.
 In many ways the free software movement is a rebellion against the
virtues of corporate software development.  It is supposed to be fun,
free, empowering, whatnot.  The holy grail is the source code.  Of
course revolutions don't last forever, and the projects need to take
that to heart, lest they become unmanagable or irrelevant.

Free software is still in a dot-com equivalent era:
Lots of startups, and an ecology that is hardly sustainable.

--
Herman Robak
herman at skolelinux no