Re: Core KDE member about HIG^W female contributors

On Sun, 15 May 2005 18:17:10 +0200 (CEST), Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es> wrote:

Hi :)

--- Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:

KDE forum the first response fires back (in gest, I
suppose) stating that women are not HIG compliant;i.e. they are hard to use.

That's a clear sign that makes clear that the complainshave some reasons to be. They still see us as objects to
use.

 Wow, you took it dead seriously!  For the sake of
argument, let's pretend it was not a joke.  I "use"
other people from time to time, through interfaces
like voice, IRC, e-mail, etc.  Most of them are men,
and most of them don't mind.

 But of course, the kind of usage I am referring to
can hardly be what the joke was about.  Recreational
use of other people is rarely described with the word
«use», unless it is exploitation.

 Girls are no longer strangers to using members of the
opposite sex for recreational purposes, btw.  You just
don't want _that_ kind of attention in HIGw's forums.
I agree.  It's not appropriate, and it is off-topic.

  So even though the article tries to fight some of
the gender stereotypes, it does just as much to enforce
them.  To be blunt, it tingles the same nerve as "think
about the children!"  It annoys me, but I can't argue
against it without sounding like an ass.And that annoys me even more; recursive annoyance!

I don't think so. In fact I liked that article. There
might be a problem for the women involved in KDE (why
doesn't it surprise me? those problems are quite
common among other free software projects too),

 This is self-perpetuating.  If you don't have a life,
you have more time to contribute.  I think it is quite
safe to say that this appeals more to men than to women.

and such an article is a good way to start talkingabout it.

 Is it?  Can we talk about it without making gross
sweeping generalisations?  I _know_ there are dorks who
will put off any woman with their clumsy advances.  And
being reminded about them makes me just as thrilled as
the question "are you sea-sick?" during a boat trip.

 OK, maybe you don't expect to come to a conclusion,
but just want to share some of your frustrations?
I can sympathise with that.

--
Herman Robak
herman at skolelinux no