Re: Core KDE member about HIG^W female contributors

Hi :)

--- Herman Robak <herman@skolelinux.no> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:40:26 +0200, Adeodato Simó
> <asp16@alu.ua.es> wrote:
>   It  may be applauded on this very mailing list,
> whereas on the
> KDE forum the first response fires back (in gest, I
> suppose)
> stating that women are not HIG compliant; i.e. they
> are hard to
> use.

That's a clear sign that makes clear that the
complains have some reasons to be. They still see us
as objects to use.

>   Thus it spurs a debate we may not really want: The
> importance
> of social skills, compared to other skills.  Coding
> skills and
> social skills should not be regarded as opposites,
> but the linked
> article has implied that there is a negative
> correlation between
> the two.  Now, what matters more to a free software
> movement?
> Clever coders, or well-rounded personalities that
> get along well
> with the opposite sex?

We must not forget that free software movement is a
social movement in which social relationships take
place. I don't mind how social is a clever coder who's
just coding alone at home, but when that person is
working in a group, s/he must know at least how to
behave. Team work is about that, not only being a
perfect tecnician, but also knowing how to work with
other people.

It a person is a great coder, but his lack of social
skills make other people leave the team, being
uncomfortable or just don't work as they could, that's
a problem for the whole project.

Getting around well with other people, no matter what
their gender ir, is something important. Every
organisation knows it. Technical competence can never
hide social incompetence (of course, those are not
opposite things, i know people competent on both
areas, as well as other people incompetent in both).

>   So even though the article tries to fight some of
> the gender
> stereotypes, it does just as much to enforce them.
> To be blunt,
> it tingles the same nerve as "think about the
> children!"  It
> annoys me, but I can't argue against it without
> sounding like
> an ass.  And that annoys me even more; recursive
> annoyance!

I don't think so. In fact I liked that article. There
might be a problem for the women involved in KDE (why
doesn't it surprise me? those problems are quite
common among other free software projects too), and
such an article is a good way to start talking about
it.

Greetings,
Miry

Nuevos servicios, más seguridad