Want women in IT? Make maths mandatory

Evening,

Came across this article earlier in the day, then stumbled into mjg59's
LJ entry on debian-women. I thought people here might find it an
interesting read...

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/women_it_maths_mandatory/

Choice quotes:

        ``it seems that restricting the choices available to
        adolescents, and making it mandatory for all pupils to study
        maths and science subjects throughout their secondary education,
        correlates with a higher proportion of women going on to study
        computer science at university.''

        ``As other research has repeatedly shown, choices made during
        adolescence are more likely to be made on the basis of gender
        stereotypes, so we should push off choice until later.''

Cheers,
/Liyang (not subscribed, btw)