[trans] New translators

Hello, all you thinking-about-being-translator people out there. :)

I think about it, too. I only got into translation by volunteering to translate one of my favourite programs, which had a great community and translator group (the cross-platform Jabber client, Psi), and then people asked me to do some more...

I started out knowing absolutely nothing, and I'm not sure I've got far from that now :) but please don't feel intimidated if you don't have any experience. D-W translation is a very small and informal effort, so it makes a good start for any new translators, and a viable option for people who don't have much time, but could still do a paragraph in the wiki now and then. Whatever you can do, we will appreciate. No big expectations. :)

Welcome to Lucia, Spanish translator! Lucia may have some time to translate with us, so that's great. :) She has exams coming up, so we can wish her good luck with those, as well.

Please don't feel discouraged because there is already a focus person for your language, or already someone translating for it. None of us have a lot of effective time, so we all do what we can. Any translation you can do will be appreciated. It actually works better to have more than one person working on a language, because you can support each other, also spot those elusive errors the other person can't because she's been staring at that page for too long. ;)

I speak from experience here, as the only active Vietnamese translator in open source. :( Every little bit of feedback of advice I can get means a lot to me. Mine is not the only language with few volunteers, so working together as a translator group really helps us all. Many of our issues are not language-specific, so we can help each other out so much. The main i18n (internationalization) mailing lists are an excellent example of this: you might like to have a look some time at debian-i18n, gnome-i18n, kde-i18n, translation-i18n or translate-pootle, all excellent lists where translators keep up to date with information, and help each other out.

Could you do a paragraph now and then? We'd love to hear from you. :)