[wiki] Translation update?

Hi everybody :)

I've been a bit caught up with the imminent release of both the Debian-Installer (first time in Vietnamese! :D ) and Gnome 2, so I haven't been able to spend much time on the wiki.

I'm trying to remember where we were up to.

1. We had Unicode display problems. Thierry and I, and i think one or two other people spend some time trying to solve them, and

2. It turned out to be a PmWiki bug, so I lobbied them, and they fixed it.

***Has their fix been implemented yet?

I know Thierry tested it on his site, and my characters which hadn't been displaying, were finally OK, but today when I look at the wiki, those characters are stil futzed. Where are we up to with installing the fixed version of PmWiki?

Connected with that:

***Have we installed the updated i18n tarball for PmWiki?

While I was lobbying the PmWiki people (who are extremely helpful and quick to respond), I also translated their interface into Vietnamese. I notice it's not implemented on the wiki site yet. Where are we up to on this?

So far, I think Thierry has carried the entire burden of maintaining the wiki, updating, fixing things etc. Do you still have time for that, Thierry? Is there anyone else here who could help out? Getting the wiki updated to the full Unicode support and interface translations is critical for us. It should, IMHO, be our first priority.

3. The wiki continues to be updated in translation: Quyên has edited the Vietnamese pages, and Hajni has added Hungarian (magyar, note the lack of capital letter). I am sure other languages have also continued to grow in the wiki. Hungarian is also in the PmWiki i18n tarball, so I hope we can have interface support at least for the languages we are currently offering in the wiki.

4. Translation In Progress

This page:

http://women.alioth.debian.org/wiki/index.php/English/ TranslationInProgress

is an intro page for people willing to help with translating the D-W wiki. It currently lists:

faw (Portuguese)
Dabian (Danish)
Clytie (Vietnamese)
Hajni (Hungarian)

so we lack a contact person for people willing to help with translation pages in German, French and Spanish. Please contact me, or add yourself to that page, if you are willing to be a contact person for any of those languages. It doesn't mean a lot of time committed, just being someone to ask about where to start. :)

5. New translation.

Our aims are to keep up with English changes to the wiki (quite a big task, so every person helping a bit will be very much appreciated :) ), and to make the wiki as useful a place for our language communities as possible. We really need:

(a) more translators. Please, even if you can only contribute a paragraph every now and then, please contact the contact person for your language (or me, if one isn't listed), and we can talk about what you would like to do.

(b) a way to talk about what we want to do. I still think a sub-group of D-W would be useful, but we may have to find other ways. :( I'm keen for us to have an IRC channel, but my disability so far makes it impossible for me to communicate in real-time. I'm trying to find ways get around that. Meanwhile, we need to set up an IRC channel, and start talking to each other. :)

One reason a separate group makes sense to me, is that we need to be able to talk to each other in our languages. There really aren't enough of us for each language to justify having a separate group or channel for each language, but it is important for us to be able to do that, and to feel that we're not annoying others here because of it. Translators deal with this all the time, but it does annoy people who aren't used to it, somehow. We don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

(c) Wherever possible, we are using Unicode. If you are having any Unicode input or display problems, please bring it up here (or in IRC when we get that going), or email me about them. We need to discuss these problems in detail in the group. The issue of Unicode support for several different people, several different languages, the wiki, a mailing list and IRC is definitely complex and we need room to talk about it in detail, give lots of examples, and work each problem out to help each other.

We can get a lot of help on this from the i18n mailing lists. svaksha is currently getting some excellent support on the debian-i18n and translate-pootle lists, and we've found current projects for the support of her languages. Whatever isn't working for your language, we can help you work it out. Not being able to input/display your language is a major barrier to information access, so it's very important to us to help each other fix any problems like that. :)

It doesn't matter if you're too busy now, if you feel bad because you said you'd do something and you didn't, or if you don't feel you have a lot to contribute. We're interested in forming a translation- mentoring group, focussing on D-W translation, but using D-W as a way to encourage new translators to come and talk about language and culture, have a go at a bit of translation, be valued and accepted for whoever you are and whatever you can do. It's not just about what you do, it's about who you are.

Please, get in touch. We want to hear from you. :)