Re: DW

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 12:29 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:31:50 +0200, Clytie Siddall
> <clytie@riverland.net.au> wrote:
> > I have encouraged new people to post here, and I've been disappointed
> > with the response to those posts. Does anyone say, "Welcome to Debian-
> > Women, X! Great to see you here. I can see that Y is important to you,
> > and I'm sure there will be someone here with the expertise you need, or
> > who can refer you to it. ;)"
>
> <distanced response>
> It does not scale very well.  Debian is vast.  Scaleability matters.
> </distanced response>

It can scale, you just need to scale the number of welcoming people in
proportion to group size! I'd half expect this would happen naturally if
it appears to be the social norm - i.e. if people make newcomers feel
welcome, and encourage newcomers to in their turn make other newcomers
feel welcome, it should scale reasonably well, assuming the number of
newcomers grows in a mostly smooth manner ;)

Thanks,
Rob Taylor