Re: A list for D-W translators

> Hmm.... I was not aware that Rosetta is non-GPL. Makes me wanna
> rethink about volunteering for non-GPL software however excellent it
> may be. Thanks Christian :)

Careful...don't make me say what I don't want to say..:-)

Rosetta *is* an excellent framework and most parts of it are actually
free software. Only *some* parts (I cannot be more precise as I
unfortunately hadn't enough time atDebconf to get Ubuntu people
explain me in details how the whole framework behaves) are not free.

I had a quite long discussion with Mark Shuttleworth at Debconf about
Rosetta and I'm quite convinced that he would be very glad to see this
framework used more widely, especially by his "upstream", namely
Debian.

He has actually arguments for not releasing everything. I would prefer
havig him explaining them rather than trying to resume what he
mentioned me, with the risk of biased opinions.

In short, I think we cannot use Rosetta *now* but I don't lose hope in
future changes...:-)

So, I would advise you to not drop your contribution only because of
this. You're not contributing to a non-free project. You're
contributing to a free project which uses a tools based on some
non-free-yet parts. In short, this is not similar to Linux Kernel and
BitKeeper.

> > There is a (small) working group for l10n for languages of India,
> > animated by Jaldhar M. Vyas. The group has a mailing list hosted on
> > Alioth:

> <mailto:debian-in-workers-request@lists.alioth.debian.org?subject=subscribe>
>
> Thanks !
> Hindi is very different from Sanskrit and Marathi (although they share
> a common script).  I did notice that there were no other Indian
> languages listed.  I shall post about it to the debian-in-workers
> list.

I think that no one in the group wants to restrict its target to
Hindi, definitely. The problem is more the support for all languages
of this family, which is even more obvious for languages using the
Devanagari script.