Re: Acronym on About page of main site

On 19/06/2005, at 11:37 AM, Fabricio segfault Cannini wrote:

Now, BOFH of course I know. :) I think this might be something
different: after all, we don't need to discuss how to be a BOFH: it
comes naturally, on Monday mornings or when someone says "I don't
want to understand how to use my computer, I just want it to work."

I "love" to hear this kind of !@%$&@$.

Specially on Monday mornings. ;-D

Me too. These are people, one assumes, who had to learn to drive a car... but a computer? Hey, somebody else should do that for me!

I have to remind my long-suffering husband, sysadmin at our local ISP, that not all computer users are like that: unfortunately, the ones willing to learn don't ring up first thing on Monday morning (or last thing Friday afternoon) and, without even bothering to say Hello, throw at him, "Your server's down!"

He takes a deep breath, looks at the servers (which have only ever been down briefly during long powercuts when the UPS runs out, or for changeovers which are all done swiftly in the dead of 2am) and says, "They're fine here. Do you have a problem there?" and then goes through the ritual, Is the electricity on at your house, Is the computer plugged in, Is it on, Is there anything on the screen ...

It is enough to make a BOFH out of the best of us, sometimes. ;)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

Ở thành phố Renmark, tại miền sông của Nam Úc