Re: install party in paris

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:40:20AM +0200, fabienne s wrote:
>        i'd say first of all make your invite less "techie threatening"
> than mine.  apparently i scared a bunch of people off when i warned that
> one should back up all material prior to the install party.  secondly
> have lots of blank cds on hand (to make said backups and to burn install
> disks),

I would always advise telling people to make their own backups before coming
to an install party.  Yes, it may frighten some people away, but the
alternative is that the one failure in 100 gets blamed on you (and on
Linux!) whether it's your fault or not, and even if it's a hardware failure.
Likewise, if you make backups for the user at the install party, you're
taking responsibility for making sure all their data is still there at the
end -- so if there's a problem during the install, *and* you have a problem
restoring everything from the backup, it's an even bigger liability issue...

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer