Re: Getting involved

(sorry to break the thread, I'm not subscribed)

On Tuesday 07 June 2005, fabienne wrote:
>  i'm glad you brought up this documentation subject. i was poking around
>  the top pages when suggesting debian installs to others and found the
>  lack of mention for AMD glaring.

It's even worse if you consider AMD64: not all AMD processors are AMD64,
but from the name one would perhaps sooner try AMD64 than i386
(especially after AMD64 will be in the official archives).

>  i mean, you and i already know that
>  i386 *implies* AMD compatability, but the download page for testing
>  releases is so scary and accronym-ridden:

[long route through wiki pages to get to Installation Guide]

>  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

Why take that route at all?
- www.debian.org -> "Getting started", link "latest stable release of
  Debian"
- http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/, link "Installation Manual"
Much easier and logical for a newbie. There are at least four other routes
to that point from the main Debian website, including through the
Documentation pages.

>  Now, once on this page, once again, how is the "average" user supposed
>  to know that AMD is an i386 architecture (without consulting wikipedia
>  or google or something). Next the user chooses i386 in their language,
>  and poof! page not found. The only links that work are the ones at the
>  top of the page in english.

You must have hit one of the rare times the manual was being rebuilt (the
manual is still being updated for Sarge; help welcome).

>  In closing, yes I agree wholeheartedly with Erinn, the debian wiki and
>  the debian.org webpages in general are in need of some serious love.

A reorganization of the webpages is planned, but I don't know how concrete
the plans are. Probable one of the major topics for debconf5.

Cheers,
Frans Pop
(d-i team member, coordinator for the manual)