Re: Core KDE member about HIG^W female contributors

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 03:45:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> >But damn, the idea that all of this is completely and utterly subordinate
> >to your "clever coders" galls me.
> But writing and bug-finding /are/ subordinate though -- in the sense
> they only happen after the code's written...

I think the problem raises when such a 'subordination' is somehow given
a rank by value.

It's normal to have jobs that are subordinate to each other, yet very
important on themselves: the baker is subordinate to the miller, which
in turn is subordinate to the farmer, but we don't usually value the
miller or the farmer more than the baker.

Thing is, if we want to have good bread all of them are essential and
need to do a good job.  This is probably what makes them respected.

IMO we still don't perceive good software as something that needs good
user interface and testing and appropriate documentation as much as it
needs the code, like good bread needs a good baker and an oven as much
as it needs a recipe and the ingredients.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>