Re: Women wanted as games programmers

<quote who="Helen Faulkner">

> Hi All,
>
> This may be of interest, especially if any of you are in the UK and
> considering doing a degree in computer science.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4530583.stm
>
> I think it's a positive step.

Rock! :) Just a quick comment on this, I don't think that the cars and guns
thing is what puts girls off some games, it is the ridiculous pigeon-holing
of women in those games that leaves the bad taste. I loved playing quake,
doom, wolfenstein, metal slug and a bunch of other shoot-em-ups as a kid,
even though there were next to no "normal" looking women in them (with the
exception of metal slug :), but now most women in games are portrayed as a
prize or a sexy enemy. It is no wonder there are image problems left right
an center. Loads of games still rock, and have female characters that are
cool and getting more chicks to write games would help :)

Having said that, I remember once attending a uni LAN party, and being
politely informed by one of the players prior to starting (I was the only
girl) that there was going to be some games played in the room, and it might
get a bit loud and I might want to consider studying in the next lab. I said
I was there to play and then kicked ass :D The little things can still be
quite amusing :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                "Women hold up half the sky." - Mao Tse Tung