Re: errors building a .deb

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 04:10:08PM +1000, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> * On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 04:03:42PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > ...<snip>
> > Nah, you can range all over the place and change things.  It all gets
> > recorded in the .diff.gz file in the end.
> >
> > The install target of the debian/rules is intended to move files from where
> > they are in the build tree into the debian/tmp (or debian/<pkgname>)
> > directory.  Since the grabc makefile doesn't have an install target,
> > obviously the upstream author intended for this step to be done some other
> > way (perhaps by hand?).  You just replicate that within your debian/rules,
> > with appropriate adjustments for the destination.
>
> Hi Matt (and others) - thanks for your reply. This is what I added to
> the user supplied makefile - look ok?
>
> > DESTDIR= /usr/bin
> > install: $(OBJS)
> >         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $(PROGNAME) $(OBJS) $(LIBS)
> >         mv $(PROGNAME) $(DESTDIR)

No, you shouldn't rebuild the program in the install target, you should
instead depend on the binary linking target (probably called 'grabc' in all
likelihood).  But unless you're keen on getting this change inserted
upstream (not a bad idea in general) it's easier just to cp grabc
debian/tmp/usr/bin/.

> As per [1] this builds OK with 'debuild -us -uc', but with 'debuild' it
> can't get to my key:

debuild doing the signing thing is an abomination.  Make -us -uc the default
and then use debsign -k<keyid> instead.

> > Now signing changes and any dsc files...
> >  signfile grabc_1.1-1.dsc Sonia Hamilton <soniaNO_SPAMsnowfrog.net>
> > gpg: skipped `Sonia Hamilton <soniaNO_SPAMsnowfrog.net>': secret key not
> > available
> > gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available
>
> How is it choosing my key? From 'changelog' or 'control'? Unfortunately,
> when I created my key, I created it as:

From my vague recollection, it takes the key ID from the Changed-By: field
in the .changes file for upload, which comes from the changelog.  But I
could be wrong.

> Sonia Larissa Hamilton (Sydney, Australia) <soniaNO_SPAMsnowfrog.net>
>  rather than
> Sonia Hamilton <soniaNO_SPAMsnowfrog.net>
>
> I've been wanting to change this for ages; but as my key has lots of
> signatures on it, rather than creating a new key should I create a
> subkey "Sonia Hamilton <sonia...>"? Any pointers on how to do this?

Create a new UID and then get people to sign that.

BTW, all of this would be a good discussion to have on d-mentors... <grin>

- Matt