Re: New EU FLOSS survey, with a twist on women involvement

* [ 12-04-05 - 07:25 ] Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
>  Quoting Enrico Zini (enrico@enricozini.org):
>  > On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:12:14PM +0200, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
>  >
>  > > - Women work more effectively than men
>  > >   I do not know :P
>  >
>  > I was pissed by this questions, because the available answers are either
>  > "true" or "false", but no way to say "there is no difference".
>
>  Well, this question is not really politically correct, for sure. But,
>  speaking for myself, I have to admit (and therefore share) that I do
>  have an opinion about this and my answer would be "yes"

Well, I agree with Enrico. I worked only with a few girls, but my
impression is that there is really no difference at all.

>  (btw, is the
>  correct English word "effectively"? Isn't it "efficiently"...or is
>  this again a consequence of my bad airport English?).

I've got nothing to say about your self-defined 'bad airport English',
mine is surely worst. :P

But it seems that the word is quite correct, in this context, according
to dict:
>From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

  effectively
      adv 1: in an effective manner; "these are real problems that can be
             dealt with most effectively by rational discussion"
             [syn: {efficaciously}] [ant: {inefficaciously}]
  effetctive
	      2: able to accomplish a purpose

>  My current experience with working with both women and men leads me to
>  conclude that, most often, women are less influenced by competition
>  than many men.

I agree here.

>  This, for instance, usually makes women more efficient
>  in team work because of a better ability to accept others point of
>  view and usually accept to being "wrong" or accepting others decisions
>  is not "losing".

I am not so sure that there is really a sex-based difference here, but
maybe I've not got enough experience to speak.

>  And, as someone involved whose advice has importance when recruiting
>  people for jobs in our IT department, it admit that women probably
>  have a little advantage because of that opinion of mine
>  (unfortunately, we don't often have opened positions...so we're mostly
>  like all other IT departments : 4 women out of 25 people).

In my two former workplaces there were only two women (in the tech
department) out of ~ 20 people.

>  But, well, I also assume that this is part of my judgement :
>  statistically, if I prefer a woman over a man for the same position, I
>  minimize the chances of future conflicts and degraded team work.

Interesting.

ciao,
	ema