Re: IRC Meetings

<quote who="Colleen Hatfield">

> Hi all!
>
> We haven't had an IRC meeting in a while, so I was wondering if there
> is still interest in having them.  I enjoyed them, as I think it's
> nice to try and get everyone together at the same time every so often.

I'd love to have one, haven't been to my first one yet as I missed the last
two by accident.

> Even if there's no big serious topic that needs discussed, I think it
> could be helpful to use the meetings as a way to touch base and sketch
> out the status of projects and set short-term goals.  For example, it
> seems like there's been a lot going on lately in the website and
> mentoring areas.  At a meeting the people heading up those efforts
> could give a status update on what's been happening in their areas, as
> well as what steps they plan to take next.  This would be an
> opportunity for them to solicit help on upcoming tasks, and for people
> interested in helping to volunteer / ask questions about what skills
> are needed / etc.
>
> What do you guys think?

It'd be great to touch base on projects people are doing. It'd be a great
way to both find people and find projects to do good stuff :) I brought up
at some point the possibility of bringing on some of the Malaysian women I
met at a forum a while ago, as they have a very different situation in ICT
there, with something like 70% of the ICT workforce being women. And it
isn't a big deal, or over the top, or at all wierd. It is very interesting,
and probably worth the conversation. I'll touch base with them and see if
they can make some time.

Cheers,
Pia

--