How do women become involved in free / open source projects?

Helen's Faulkner's comment that "women follow a different route to being interested in things like Debian and FOSS compared to the average man" has made me curious.

Would anyone be willing to comment or share their experience?

Fair warning: I am asking with the possibility of doing an article for Newsforge. If you prefer not to have your personal experiences mentioned in an article, then you might not want to answer.

(If anyone contacts me privately, I won't use material marked as off-record, and won't use your name if you ask me not to.)

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield