Re: package adoption question

Hello,

Sonia Hamilton wrote:
A package adoption question:

Thierry's article [1] mentions using email to adopt a package, which I
did [2]. But the wnpp page [3] says to use reportbug to adopt a package.

You should use email to adopt a package, and to do most things that interact with the bug tracking system (BTS). But that is what reportbug actually does. Reportbug is a tool which sends correctly formatted emails to the BTS.

Reportbug is nice because it gets things like the formatting right, and it attaches information about your system to the bug report, which is helpful to the maintainers of the package. It's a hassle because if your mail is badly configured (like mine!), then it won't be able to email out of your system. In that situation, or if you prefer, as I do, to use a GUI mailer like kmail/thunderbird/evolution, you can use:

reportbug -o bugfile

and reportbug will output to the file called bugfile. Then you can paste the body of the bug report (ie minus the headers), from bugfile into your email program and email it to the correct place (bugnumber@bugs.debian.org or control@bugs.debian.org, or whatever it is). This is actually what I do. I'm sure that dedicated uses of mutt or whatever will be laughing by now ;)

* is my ITA (Intent To Adopt) correctly formatted? (see bottom of [2])
* should I do my ITA again using reportbug?

It looks to me that your ITA is correctly formatted, but in order for the commands you have issued (retitle and owner) to work, you need to email those commands to control@bugs.debian.org. You should then get a confirmation message from the BTS, saying that it understood your commands, and that package will move from the "requested" list at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/requested to the "things being packaged" list at http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/being_packaged.

Congratulations on adopting your very first Debian package :)

Helen